Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Ghar Se Ghar Tak (Fom Home to Home)

Whenever you travel there is a familiar feeling when you hit your own bed- It’s good to be back home.  

But it’s strange to say that when I come back from India- where is home? I was very much an American teenager, but I had an Indian adolescence. As such, going to back to India is very much an emotional roller coaster.  But this trip which I made after being away for too long…  What more? I took my white husband with me. But this journey was too beautiful- if chaotic at times. None the less- I rediscovered India, and it’s still beautiful. India is not perfect by any means, nor was this trip, but those are discussions for another day.  Today is about the beauty of India.  


I grew up in a city of dreams, Mumbai. One day in Mumbai of taking it all in- I was reminded how beautifully diverse India is. To an American eye India might appear less diverse but that is not the case. There is no religion, language, class, caste, and yes, even race uniting India. It’s strikingly diverse. Indians’ embrace and fear this diversity all at the same time. It’s untamed- there is always something going on, and it’s always changing. People are curious if sometimes a little nosy. But adults and children alike bask in their curiosity. In this curiosity I find acceptance, how can you possibly embrace a person or idea without getting to know it? It’s spiritual not necessarily religions. One will be surprised by the number of Hindus at Haji Ali or Mount Mary, and vice versa. India is colorful and historic. Both these things entice me. India is full of contradictions- this both a positive and negative.It’s reminiscent of us,human beings. India at the end of the day is home.

But at the end of the day lying on my bed in Madison, Wisconsin felt like home.  My trip to India in December 2013 returning January 2014- was a trip from home to home.

No comments:

Post a Comment