Wednesday, July 9, 2014

A generation 1.5 Immigrant: A Fish Out of Water

Despite this blog being called
"Chai and Pie." I really have not talked about cross-cultural issues. I think it is due to the fact that it is difficult to talk about things when the topic makes you feel vulnerable. But at core of my existence is my mixed identity; I would not be authentic if I did not talk about it. What perhaps makes my identity more complicated is the age at which I came to the United States.

While my childhood was honestly Indian, I was very much an American Teenager in many ways.
As a result I do not really identify with Indians who were born and raised in the United States. Nor do I identify with my parents, or other first generation immigrant Indians. I do not know any Indians that are like me, a generation 1.5 immigrant (Not saying there aren't any- I just don't know any). Therefore, my closest Indian friends are in India. Most Indians I hangout with in the US are related to me. My friends in the US are mostly those to identify as American. I am very grateful for the friends and family I have both in India and the United States- Honestly, they are awesome! They have accepted me and mixed loyalties, and the confusions that comes with it. But not having many Indian friends in the US (first or second generation), or those who share my mixed loyalties- often makes me feel like the picture above. A fish out of water!!

Rather, I am that fish jumping out of a bowl with many into a bowl by myself. The bowl full of fish are representative of  the several different cultures I am part of.  But often wind up deviating from. I guess more accurately there would a graphic showing a fish jumping in and out of water.

Upon searching on the internet- I found I belong to a group called "Cross Culture Kids." More on being a Cross Cultural Kid some other time but knowing that I am part of a larger community of people with mixed identities- well there is comfort in it!! None the less I cannot help but want more Indian- American friends. It's something I plan to seek out more but not if they come at the expense of the great friendships that I have now. Not that I anticipate that happening.


* I found this image when I googled "fish out of water." I do not own the image. I do not intend any copyright infringement. 

No comments:

Post a Comment