Thursday, July 10, 2014

Tacos And Bollywood: An Immigrant Sharing

Sometimes when my day just sucks or I am really tired, all I want to do is eat tacos and listen to Bollywood music (Not Taco Bell. I am talking true Mexican style tacos).

Why Taco's? Well most days when I am upset I don't feel like cooking. Good authentic tacos are cheaper than Indian food in Madison. Most importantly though they have more of a "home cooked" feel.  While Indian food is my comfort food, restaurant Indian food in Madison feels well like "restaurant food."

In the small  family run Mexican joints I find the flavors that are familiar to my palette. It also gives me the feeling of going to the food stall around the corner back in Mumbai.

Strange right? But that's how it is.

As it turns out though it is not so strange- at least not to one of the Mexican girl who works at El Pablano.

While waiting for my tacos after a really tiring day, I was asking her what things behind a refrigerated case were. She was struggling to explain the taste of something- as she could not think of the English word. So she brought on out a container so I could smell it. The guy who took my order earlier- returned at this point, and stated it was cinnamon. I thanked him and her, and continue conversing with the girl.

I explained why I like Mexican food and how it appeals to my Indian palette. Upon learning that I am from India- she looks excited, and explains she loves Bollywood. She changes the music to some good old Mohabbatein. She explains that Bollywood movies and music are her and her sister's go to entertainment. She says she like it more than American TV, and asks me how to say some things in Hindi.

So here we are two immigrant girls- chatting- and finding comfort in other's culture. It is one of those surreal moments in life that I won't be forgetting any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment