Sunday, August 31, 2014

Saying Goodbye to My Lucky Star

Today M and I, buried our Lucky's ashes.

Lucky was the most magnificent cat you would meet. She was agile, curious, and beautiful. She was scared of thunderstorms but when the sun was out she loved exploring. She did not like going outside unless she could see me or MS. Then again, she loved exploring the porch (that was as outdoorsy as she got). She would meow like crazy for wet food and when she had her mousy with her.

Over ten years ago now, after a couple of years of living in the US, we really missed having pets. We had grown up with lots of pets (You can read more about it at my sister's blog), so we decided to start with a cat. We adopted her from Pet's Mart/Jefferson County Humane Society. I named her "Lucky" because I had been listening to the Britney Spears song Lucky,and because she was a black cat and people stupidly and superstitiously thought them unlucky and it is hard to find families for them. I thought she would be "Lucky" and she was for me. I would often call her my "Lucky" star.

I still remember the first day we brought her home. My parents and sister had to work that day but I was to be home with the cat. Unfortunately, as soon as we got her home, she found her home below my sister's bed. No persuasions or food got her out. After trying every so often for 2 hours, I fell asleep on the bed. When I woke up, there she was crouched in the corner looking at me. I put my hands out gently so she could smell it if she wanted. It took her 10 minutes but she finally made it to my arms. I slowly petted her and she started purring. Since that day, her and me, we had a connection.

When I came home from college she would sit at the counter waiting for me to pet her. When I cried she would come sit beside me. When I watched TV she was on me. When my grandfather died she sat on my feet by his bed as as I said goodbye. When I moved out I took her with me, and she adjusted really well. She actually loved being the only pet. She accepted MS, and made him love cats too, especially her. She was part of our big days too, when we got married and came home, when we bought a house. She loved the new house.

And then suddenly she was gone, and I was in more pain than I could imagine. I have had to say goodbye to pets before but this is much harder than other times. Perhaps because it came out of nowhere, perhaps it was because she was my mine and not as much a family pet, or perhaps because it was ultimately me who had to make the decision. Most likely a combination of all of the above.

It will be a week tomorrow. I still cry randomly at home when I miss her. I know the pain will get better, and I also know I will never stop missing her. But today I finally said goodbye! In Hinduism (not that I am particularly religious) you have a period mourning. Then you say goodbye (usually on the 12th day),  and start celebrating their life- meaning you mourn but you remember them positively and smile. Tomorrow, I will start celebrating my Lucky's life (or at least try to)!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment